5.27.2008

birthday

in case you were unaware, yesterday was my 17th birthday. i have to say 17 just doesn't seem as special as 16. 16 is sort of a milestone, as is 18, and 17 is just kind of stuck in between the two. although, i'm glad to have surpassed 16. it was a bad year and i'm hoping this one will look better.

my birthday celebrations started on friday night. i had a sleepover with a few girls from my school. this was my first time being responsible for a legit event with people from my own school. christy, blair, sarah wong, geanna, stephanie, mina, katie j, and elsie all came over on friday night while my parents went to work on grad night. we did the typical girl sleepover activites. we watched Harry Potter 5, made friendship bracelets, asked truth questions, signed yearbooks, and had hannah montana birthday cake and ice cream. it all sounds so juvenile, but it was actually a lot of fun. this year i've really found my place among my classmates and i'm happy about it. we laughed a lot and talked a lot and just had a good time.

my actual birthday was on sunday. on sunday my mom took me to crepeville for breakfast. that was nice. interestingly enough i sometimes feel awkward with my mom. we are just so different that i feel she doesn't really understand me, but breakfast was good and she got all nostalgic. after breakfast i went to gina's graduation bbq. she was so excited and i was happy for her. i met some new people and we had fun building the grill, playing sorry and catch phrase, and laughing.
i went home and brian and emily picked me up for ice cream. we went to vic's which was great because i got to have my favorite thing in the world. yep, coffee ice cream on a plain cone. after that fantastic taste of heaven we got in the car and sat while the three of us were indecisive of where to go. naturally, we ended up at brian's house where his parent's greeted me each with a happy birthday. this all made me feel a lot better about certain situations because at one point i thought brian's parents didnt like me that much. at brian's we sat at the kitchen table and just chatted about all kinds of things. we played around with brian's new cell phone. it is the new envy, and he dubbed it turbo tran. of course emily and i had tons of fun with that and went on to elaborate about the personality of this gender-confused phone. at 10 brian's friend derek came and we had to leave. emily and i ended up going to her house and as soon as we arrived my parents called telling me to come home. i went home. the night was nice and in an overall sense i enjoyed myself. some of the time i felt uncomfortable because the whole situation just was weird in my head. i'm sure there was nothing to be worried about, but naturally i still was the entire time in the back of my head. luckily everything ended up fine and i had a satisfying time.

as far as gifts go, i'm satisfied. my parents bought me real wayfarers, diorshow mascara, and tom hanks dvds; all of which were on my wishlist. today my mother also took me to the rack where i bought some cheap true religions. i'll have to alter them but at least i got them for a good price. christy got me the twighlight book. i'll read it eventually i'm sure, even if i am against conforming to this madness. mina got me an incredible shia labeouf poster. it is him from indiana jones on a motorcycle. so hott. sarah wong was very thoughtful and got me a 20$ giftcard to utrecht. that is the art store i go to. only she would know that. katie j got me a cute tote bag filled with sidewalk chalk and bubbles. my grandma made me a silver necklace with a star of david pendant. i think that is all. if i missed anything i'll add it later maybe. geanna and stephanie told me that they have my presents coming.

so turning seventeen was no where near as great as the day i turned sixteen, but i'm glad. i hope the day to top my sixteenth birthday is something extremely worthy.

No comments: