4.24.2011

Pog Lovin'

By Blair Stenvick

Remember pogs? Those cardboard circles with different designs, characters, teams, et cetera on them that were huge in the nineties? Yeah, I loved pogs, and if you’re over eighteen, chances are you did too.

But let’s be honest here: they were completely useless. Apparently there was some sort of game that went along with them, but I never played it, and I don’t remember anyone else playing either. The thrill was purely in collecting them. And unlike Pokemon or baseball cards, which at least had some sort of clear ranking system, all pogs were created equal. I didn’t care what was on them, I just liked having a lot of them. Pogs served absolutely no function beyond being something to own. They were the most purely capitalistic fad I can think of.

So why were they so fucking inescapable in 1995? According to Wikipedia, President Bill Clinton was even in on the “fun” that came with these little pieces of cardboard. I tried thinking of some modern-day equivalent to pogs, and the closest I could get was Silly Bands, but at least you can wear those.

But then, Pogs aren’t that different from any other cheap collectible, from sticker books to movie ticket stubs. But why do we like to collect so much? I love to sometimes just sit and look at my record and book and sweater collections, especially when there are new additions. Material things offer a special kind of comfort that I can’t imagine giving up. And even things like pogs, devoid of any emotional or intellectual meaning, can be reassuring exactly because of their lack of practicality. Absolute novelty is sometimes needed, and if we’re going to indulge, I’d rather it be in pieces of cardboard than in diamonds.

Pogs: the Middle Class’ version of gold-plated toothpicks. Being excessive, on a budget. Don’t think; just pog.

1 comment:

Nikki Pritchard said...

I used to love playing pogs. I can't believe you don't remember the game!

A player would a throw the rubber slammer at the stack of pogs, and those facing up went to the thrower. Then you stack up the rest and the next person throws.

You win them, you don't collect them. But I suppose you have to buy some to begin with and once you run out. *shrug*

I like the topics you choose to write about. Good post!