4.01.2010

Tell Me Why


I'm not sure if you've noticed, but this month's Elle Magazine graced its cover with the angel-faced, teen, pop-country sensation Taylor Swift, and I have to say I've never seen her looking better. I'll be the first to admit that i originally was a Tay-Swift doubter, probably because of the bad rep she gave Joe Jonas after he broke her heart, but after reading the article i have to admit that Joe lost on that deal. Taylor naturally glows (even without the spotlight) and is exactly what the world of pop culture needs right now. Her dreamy, girlhood lyrics, sans sex appeal and drug references, remind girls everywhere that it is ok to be good. Growing up in a generation raised by Britney Spears, Mary Kate Olsen, and Lindsay Lohan, i have to say I'm glad that my young female cousins will be looking up to girls like Swift. Many poke fun at her innocence and count down the days until they will find her nude photos on the internet, but the haters will have to wait. Taylor is as genuine and innocent as she seems, and that is ok. So much of the time young people (myself, at age 18, included) are made to feel like they have to act older than they are. When we are 12 we want to be 16, 16 we want to be 18, and 18 we want to be 21, but I've found that being older is not necessarily better. Taylor Swift is a 20 year old just being herself, and although at times her fairytale lyrics might seem childish, that is exactly what they are: dreams from one girl to all of the girls out there who should enjoy being girls and not worry about when they will become a woman. So now I don't feel so bad to admit to you all that i have posters of the Jonas Brothers and Harry Potter on my walls, sleep with my teddy bear by my pillow, and i even listen to Taylor Swift.

*this post is dedicated to Claire Taylor. You can officially count me in (publicly! ha!).

Music: Tell Me Why - Taylor Swift

1 comment:

Claire said...

Thank you so much for the dedication!!

And dude, I couldn't agree more. She is by far one of the best female role models our generation has seen.

And I'm glad you've finally declared your membership in the club :) haha