8.12.2009

find your center

i just got back from my 6 day vacation to my family's beach house in mendecino county. i hate saying my family has a vacation house near the beach because people automatically assume that it is some mansion, hampton's style, and that my family is ridiculously wealthy. that is all but the case. our house is really old, kind of cabin like, and smells kind of funny inside. the beach it is near is a northern california beach. that means it is usually pretty cold and windy. 4-5 months out of the year it is rainy and foggy and the power goes out a lot. the closest town is called Gualala which almost no one has heard of and the entirety of the "town" consists of one city block containing two grocery stores, one gas station, a bakery, a post office, and a small myriad of other assorted shops. the majority of the population averages at the age of 60, is retired, and their kids do not live with them meaning there are no teenagers or young people around, not that i'd be able to tell because the houses are so far apart that you can't see your neighbors while at your own house. on top of that, cellular signal is extremely spotty and we don't have internet.

i just made it sound like our vacation house sucks, but it really isn't that bad. i've grown up going there and it is a place where i find quiet (which i sometimes need whether i want to admit it or not) and concentration. the last six days pretty much consisted of me sleeping, reading, journaling, and eating with a few social campsite visits. i had minimal contact with that i like to refer to as civilization (which i later officially defined as any place where i can get a 3G signal on my phone). while being limited to these simple, mundane activities really helped me focus my thoughts. my journaling was so pure and i really loved it. but after 6 days i am glad to be back in civilization where i can interact with lots of people.

the countdown (t minus 11 days and counting) has begun until i move into my dorm for college. i am very excited, actually. i want to meet my room mate, get started with classes, and find my new place in this new world i will be joining. my creative juices are starting to flow again and i think the guidance of art school will really give it a boost.

Music: Vanilla Twilight - Owl City, the sound of crashing waves

No comments: