1.07.2012

Celeb Status

I was reading this month's issue of Nylon Magazine this afternoon (the annual American Issue with Rachel Bilson on the cover (2 of my favorite things!)) and as I flipped through the ads I noticed how many companies/products used celebrities and how many of them I own/want to own. For example, take our cover girl Rachel Bilson. She is the recent face of Magnum ice cream, and although I've never actually purchased the sweet treats my friend Sarah and I contemplated it even though all we knew about them was the fact that beautiful Ms. Bilson is in their commercials. We associate owning these products with these people, and that controls how we feel about said product. I suppose if it were Bret Michels on those ice cream commercials Sarah and I would never consider a purchase. Kind of amazing how that works.

Whether you feel it's good or bad, there is no denying the huge influence celebrities have on present day culture. Personally, as pop-culture fanatic, I love it! Anything to fuel my celebrity (girl) crushes is a positive in my book. I can't wait to open a new issue of Teen Vogue to see who the new recent Marc by Marc Jacobs girl will be. Some of my favorite celebrity campaigns are Emma Watson for Burberry, Camilla Belle, Zoe Kravtiz, and Leighton Meester for various Vera Wang Fragrances, Elle Fanning for Marc By Marc Jacobs, Dakota Fanning for Oh Lola! by Marc Jacobs, Mischa Barton for Keds, and Drew Barrymore for Covergirl (to name a few).

No comments: