12.27.2011

3-6-5 Project, Amy Style

So, we've all seen/heard of examples of different types of 3-6-5 projects, photo-a-day, sketch-a-day, a collection-a-day, etc. etc. I've always found it really interesting and amazing that people are able to maintain the discipline to keep their projects going all year. Inspired by the various unique 3-6-5 projects I've seen, I've decided that this coming year I will begin one of my own. I've been thinking about what I want to do for the last few weeks. I didn't want to do just a general photo/sketch a day because I find that the most challenging part is figuring out what to take a picture of or what exactly to draw. That can lead to images of mundane things like your dog every other day, or spoons sitting on the table. I'm sure your dog is cute and the spoons do look interesting, but I just don't feel the meaning in that. I'm also a big "theme" person, so I wanted my project to be more specific. This is what I came up with:

Anyone who knows me knows that I have a VERY obsessive nature. When I find something I like, I REALLY LIKE IT. A LOT. This past term I discovered one way to take an obsession and turn it into something useful (instead of something that just distracts me from other important/necessary things). In the year 2012 I will document one obsession for the day and accompany it with some kind of creation. To keep myself on track and guided I've come up with a few rules.

Rules:
1. One obsession per day. This can be as general as "cats" or as specific as "the dress Betty Draper wore in Episode 3 of Season 2 of Mad Men".
2. I must tweet about the obsession. This will require me to express myself in at least a sentence or two.
3. Each obsession must be accompanied by something visual. This can be a photograph, vector illustration, collage, sketch in my sketchbook, word-web, etc, etc. The whole point of this project is to exercise my creative muscles and express myself visually.
4. I can't repeat any obsessions. At the end of the year I want to have 365 different ones!
5. HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Claire said...

This is a really cool idea! Looking forward to the tweets especially. Do you have any hastag ideas?