5.14.2011

Glam Jam


Its Thursday night and I find myself in quite an interesting place. There are sweaty people (many covered in glitter) dancing around me, men in metallic wrestling suits and a myriad of women's clothing preforming in front of me as psychedelic, kaleidoscope patterns play on a screen behind them. Where the hell am I? Well, I'm at the Roseland (Portland, OR) for the of Montreal show!

of Montreal, fronted by Kevin Barnes, is officially from Athens, Georgia and known for their experimental indie-pop. Let's say the Beatles meets David Bowie meets the new millenium. Their most recent album, False Preist (released on Polyvinyl Records in September 2010) features dynamic funky, poppy sounds and several tracks with female artists Janelle Monae and Solange Knowles.

Their shows are as dynamic as their music. A number of band members switch from playing instruments to dressing in costumes and acting out ridiculous scenes. I'm not 100% sure what I saw but I know it included luchador-masked wrestlers, Kevin Barnes in women's clothing, men with giant pig heads, some serenading at a dinner table, girls in crop tops and booty shorts, and much more. Of course it is the music that matters, and they've got that down-pat. Kevin Barnes and company can manage to dance around like maniacs and still sing and play their instruments.

All in all, it is one of the most interesting shows I've been to yet. Catch them if you can. The tour is headed to LA, Phoenix, AZ, and Texas next. Here is a link to their website.

Note: Unfortunately the only photos I have were taken with my iPhone, and therefore shitty. This is just another reason to support 4monthsatsea!!! Tell your friends. We need to up the readership so that we, as a blog, can cover these things for you properly! We love you and do it for you!

No comments: