10.09.2015

I need to tell you something.

Do you know what has been happening in Israel the past few days? The answer is probably not. Sorry if I'm assuming incorrectly, but the fact of the matter is the mainstream media either neglects to report stories of terrorist attacks in Israel and/or they completely twist the story. And to be honest, why should you be concerned about Israel anyway? I'm sure wherever you live has it's own local problems.

I've thought a lot about whether or not I should post about things. I don't like to talk about terrorism or the conflict or political problems. This is my home. I want to talk about the yummy restaurants I've gone to or the stupid Israeli boys I've dated. I don't want to talk about parents being shot in front of their children or people being stabbed on the street. Unfortunately that is something that happens here and because several of my readers seek information about Israel from this blog I feel that perhaps I need to suck it up and write about it because the rest of the world isn't going to do it.


This is what October 8th looked like in Israel. In the recent days there has been a wave of terror attacks, mostly in Jerusalem but now also in Petak Tikvah, Tel Aviv and some other cities in Israel. My Facebook feed is filled with 3 things: breaking news every few hours of another attack, fellow Israelis asking where to buy pepper spray/what areas to avoid, and photos/names of victims.  

So how do I feel?
I can't say I feel scared necessarily, but I do feel restless and worried. Growing up in America I am very unaccustomed to this kind of situation. Luckily I grew up in a place where violent crime was a rare and very isolated thing. That is not the situation right now. Anyone (well, actually just anyone who is obviously "Jewish-looking") could become the victim of the next attack. On one hand we are safer than ever because security and police are literally all over the place and on high alert. But on the other hand we aren't because these perpetrators are unmarked and unidentifiable. One moment they are riding the light rail with you and everyone else and the next moment they have a knife in your neck. You really can never know.

And what am I doing?
I'm being vigilant. I'm thinking peaceful and hopeful thoughts. I avoid "problem areas" (as if any area can be considered a safe one) and I will not go out alone at night. I've spoken with some of my Israeli friends, all of whom grew up through the Intifadas, and they have said I'm handling it well and doing the right thing.

Praying for a quiet and safe Shabbat. Please, as always, feel free to ask me any questions about the situation. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Stay vigilant and stay safe my darling granddaughter.